Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Translating Mirza Ghalib ...

Well, a friend of mine "AS" is a great fan of Mirza Ghalib. He keeps quoting that stuff in chaste Hindi... something that we regualr Bombay-wallahs aren't too familiar with ... :)

Yesterday, he sent one such "sher" to us all... and although I did understand it, I decided to have fun ... so I gave it my own interpretation (within brackets) and sent it to all in the mailing list ... here it is:

1st stanza:
phirate hai.n kab se dar_ba_dar ab is nagar ab us nagar
.... (From ages I’ve been wandering from town to town)

ek duusare ke ham_safar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
.... (I am a loafer. I’ve got nothing better to do)

naa aashanaa har rah_guzar naa mehar_baa.N hai ek nazar
....(I am an aimless loafer. Still got nothing better to do.)

jaaye.n to ab jaaye.n kidhar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
... (Do you have a spare room?)

2nd stanza:
ham bhii kabhii aabaad the aise kahaa.N bar_baad the
...(I used to raise pigs once. I had a lot of ham. But now look at what I am)

bifikr the aazaad the masaruur the dil_shaad the
....(I was free. But then I got married)

vo chaal aisi chal gayaa ham bujh gaye dil jal gayaa
... (She walked all over me. She broke my heart and ate all the ham)

nikale jalaa ke apanaa ghar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
... (Then she threw me out and made me a wanderer)

3rd stanza:
vo maah-e-vash vo maah-e-ruuh vo maah-e-kaamil huu_ba_huu
...(My wife looked just like a Taamil actress)

thii.n jis kii baate.n kuu_ba_kuu us se ajab thii guftaguu
...(She used to speak too fast… she always said kuu_ba_kuu … I’m still trying to figure out what she meant)

phir yuu.N huaa vo kho ga_ii aur mujh ko zid sii ho ga_ii
...(She wanted me to give up ham. But I was adamant. So she freed the pigs)

laaye.nge us ko Dhuu.ND kar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
...(I’m still searching for them pigs...)

4th stanza:
ye dil hii thaa jo sah gayaa vo baat aisii kah gayaa
...(I’ll forgive her for what she said … but I’ll never forget that she freed the pigs…)

kahane ko phir kyaa rah gayaa ashko.n kaa dariyaa bah gayaa
...(and they were washed away in the river)

jab kah kar vo dil_bar gayaa tee liye mai.n mar gayaa
...(my pigs were dead … I thought I’d just die)

rote hai.n us ko raat bhar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
...(I still cry thinking of those pigs … the wasted ham)

5th stanza:
ab Gam uThaaye.n kis liye ye dil jalaaye.n kis liye
...(why should I bother anymore? No use crying over spoilt ham)

aa.Nsuu bahaaye.n kis liye yuu.N jaa.N gavaaye.n kis liye
...(I won’t cry anymore. I won’t eat ham anymore)

peshaa na ho jis kaa sitam Dhuu.Nde.nge ab aisaa sanam
....(But what of my profession? Maybe I can grow chicken?)

ho.nge kahii.n to kaar_gar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
...(Damn the H5N1 !)

6th stanza:
aasaar hai.n sab khoT ke imkaan hai.n sab choT ke
...(The H5N1 took away my last hope too …)

ghar band hai.n sab koT ke ab Khatm hai sab ToTake
...(everything is over…)

qismat kaa sab ye khel hai andher hii andher hai
...(Why the heck is it so dark in Andheri?)

aise hue hai.n be_asar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
...(Aren’t u guys switching off ur monitors when u r not at ur desk? u cld save so much power!)

7th stanza:
jab ham_dam-o-ham_raaz thaa tab aur hii andaaz thaa
...(What a gr8 life I had when I had ham)

ab soz hai tab saaz thaa ab sharm hai tab naaz thaa
...(I regret not having enough ham when I had the chance)

ab mujh se ho to ho bhii kyaa hai saath vo to vo bhii kyaa
...(Damn her! She won’t even divorce me!… she’s avoiding the alimony! )

ek behunar ek besabar mai.n aur merii aavaaragii
...(I love ham! I want ham! Do you have any ham?)

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen1776 said...

Hey Anup, the wife did a favor.
Those pigs were demon possessed.
(No offense intended)

When He came to the other side into the country of the Gadarenes, two men who were demon-possessed met him.

And they cried out, saying, "What business do we have with each other, Son of God? Have you come to torment us before the time?"

Now there was a herd of many swine feeding at a distance from them.

The demons began to entreat Him, saying, "If You are going to cast us out, send us into the herd of the swine."

And He said to them, "Go!" And they came out and went into the swine, and the whole herd rushed down the steep bank into the sea and perished in the waters.
Matt 8:28-32

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home